Re: AWOL Brake Fluid

To: woodrat@spacey.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: AWOL Brake Fluid
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:10:30 EST
In a message dated 02/25/2001 7:16:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
woodrat@spacey.net writes:

> was not able to pump up any pressure on the pedal.  It continues to go
> nearly to the floor with no resistance.  The MC has not lost any of
> the fluid that I replaced last week.  This leads me to the obvious
> conclusion that either someone broke into the garage and stole my
> brake fluid or there is an internal failure in the MC.  I have not
> gone off bleeding wheel cylinders yet.  I guess I need to do that
> before I send $150 to Mother Moss.
>
> Very strange, Larry

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well Larry, you aren't THAT strange.  I think I did read about a string of
break-ins where the crooks were siphoning fluids out of cars.  They turned
out to be kids who were after gasoline, but didn't know enough about cars to
find the fuel tank.  (Just kidding!)

I would remove all the wheels and inspect all four corners and the three flex
hoses carefully for a leak.  If nothing shows itself, check every connection
in the brake pipes, and the pressure switch.  Maybe you damaged a pipe under
the car at some point.  If you still can't find anything leaking, it must be
the MC.

I would send it off to White Post for a re-sleeve job.  It will cost about
the same as a new MC, but it will last much longer.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport