Re: Anodizing aluminum

To: <LBCarNut@aol.com>, <npenney@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Anodizing aluminum
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:19:30 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Since I'm in the realm of long term memory being better than short
term I'll enter this with some general FWI info.  At GM in the 60's we
anodized only certain alloys and they required the same attention to
detail in preparation -buffing and cleaning- as did the zinc castings
for chrome plate.   The anodize is an Aluminum Oxide -can't remember
the valances but believe it's Al2O3.  After electrolytic oxidation in
Sulphuric acid the part is Hydrated to about (6)H2O.  Purity of water
is very important - we filtered and deionized the process water.
Anodizing is removed with caustic so one must be very careful what
cleanser is used.