Advice on a job I haven't done before

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Advice on a job I haven't done before
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 14:37:23 EST
Hi list,

I am about to start a job I haven't done before and wondered if there are any
handy tips to follow.

I am about to fit a new king pin to a stub axle (a job most of us have done
before) but with a difference in that I have stumped up the vast amount of
money required for a stepped reamer so that I can ream the bushes myself (the
payback on the tool is either a lot of sprites or about 300 years of
motoring).  I even 'name dropped' Ed Kaler of 'Justbrits' but this did not
get me a discount.

What is the best way to remove the old king pin bushes.  Will careful use of
a big drift to the job or is best to get hold of a 13/16 bronze drift?

Any special prep on cleaning up the stub axle (eg light emery) before tapping
in the new bushes?  How best to tap in the new bushes - piece of wood tapped
gently ok?

I have noticed that the bush needs to be orientated correctly if the grease
hole is to line up, anything else like this I need to look out for?

Daniel1312

///