Re: Advice on a job I haven't done before

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Advice on a job I haven't done before
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 07:06:00 -0800
The most painless way to remove the old bushes is on a hydraulic press.
They come out by pressing from the bottom towards the top.  Press out the
larger bottom bush first using a socket from your tool box.  Then use a
smaller socket and an extension fed through the bottom to press out the top
bushing.  When I did mine last summer, one of the four was a real pain, even
on a good shop press.  I can't imagine trying to beat them out given the
pressure it took to press them out.  It did turn out that on a previous
rebuild the surface inside where the bushing goes was slightly buggered up.
I used a small curved file to dress down the damage, then used a small
cylinder hone to finish the surface.  If the old bushings press out easily,
this shouldn't be necessary.

Installation is reverse of removal, as they say in the manuals.  You are
correct, make sure that the hole in the new bushing will line up with the
hole in the stub axle before pressing in.  Once installed, lube your new
expensive tool with cutting oil.  Fix the stub axle in a vise, and rotate
the tool clockwise at the same speed as if you were tapping a thread.  Apply
pressure and the tool will align and surface the bushings as it cuts down
into them.  Run the reamer in and out several times to insure that all burrs
are removed.  Clean thoroughly to remove all metal shavings.  Apply grease
liberally to bushings and king pins when assembling.
David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon
70 Torino