Front End Parts Questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Front End Parts Questions
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:50:10 -0800
I'm refurbishing/refitting the front end of my '67 Sprite and found a few
interesting (?) things leading to some questions.

For the ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT FREAKS: Both steering arms (p/n BTA648/9) are
painted bright green (brighter than MG engine paint). This is under the
dealer applied "undercoat". Is this original?

The kingpin cork seals had 'perished', and the 'cotters' (taper pins)
required the attention of a large (5 ton) press to be (as stated in an
Autobooks Manual), "tapped out to release the fulcrum pins".

The fulcrum pins appear to not have been hardened; that is, they are worn
down by nearly 0.10" on one side of both threaded ends WITHOUT significant
wear of the threaded bushes in the end of the A-arm (play is within spec
with new fulcrum pins).

Painting and re assembly is proceeding.

Clay La Baw

///