Re: speedo pinion (?) problem

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <egmakris@otenet.gr>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: speedo pinion (?) problem
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 11:14:12 -0700
Evangelos,

I would guess that the drive gear in the tranny is loose.  It is locked to
the shaft by a nut that must not be tight enough.  Mine was loose on my
ribcase before I switched to a 5sp.  The cable would turn, but if you seized
the cable end while driving, you could bring it to a stop.  Actually kind of
a gear protecting slip clutch for the speedo!  Pain in the a##  though, as
when things heated up on a drive, the speedo would flutter and then die.
Unfortunately, the fix is to open up the tranny and tighten the speedo gear
locking nut.  No easy fix.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye
'59 Morris Traveller (Winifred)

> Hello all. Been away for some time but back now.
> Events are being scheduled around here so I've been preparing the 66
> Sprite Mk3.
>
> Here's a thing that puzzles me. The speedometer had been showing "0" for
> years so I thought I'd check it out. Turns out the cable and instrument
> are OK after having been spun with a drill. So I turned my attention to
> the pinion & housing. I replaced both, plus oil seal, retainer and
> gasket. No change. With car on axle stands, engine on, fourth gear
> engaged, choke pulled to give some rpm still the pinion won't turn. What
> could be the problem here?
>
> By the way the old pinion's gear teeth are worn in the middle but the
> new pinion is fine and has engaged fully (?) with the drive gear, after
> I turned and pushed it in.
>
> Cheers,
> Evangelos

///