Dizzy Woes! (LONG, but technical)

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dizzy Woes! (LONG, but technical)
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 16:05:09 -0400
<rant>
Please bear with me here. I gots 2 (countem' two) dizzies.
Both Lucas 25D. Both screwing up big time.

Dizzy # 1:
Came original with the car. Ran well till car died. No spark.
 Points open and close ok. Internal wires in correct order. No apparent
(!) scorch
marks on internal wires. Nothing appareently wrong, but I
replaced dizzy 1 with dizzy 2 and the car ran fine. For a week.

Dizzy #2:
Rebuilt (bought from Advance Auto several years ago) and
ran ok, BUT ... vacuum advance maked slight popping noise.
OBTW - a year ago I had to tape an abrasion on the small
wire from the body to the plate that had shorted out and stopped
the car.

Today, with Dizzy 2 installed, the car died again. NOT abrupt.
Acted like it was out of gas (sputter, sputter, roar, sputter, dead!).
There are new abrasions on  the small wire from the body to the plate
AND on the wire from the condenser to the post. Those wires almost
fused together with clear yellow plasticky stuff.

Dizzy 1 is back in the car, and the car is running, but now I don't
trust it round the block. GRRRR!  Two dizzies, and I can't trust either
one.
What's the deal here?

</rant> OK, ok, end of rant

<quest>
I'm once again looking for alternatives. I'd love to own one
good, trustworthy (are we talking Lucas here?) dizzy.
Don't wanna mess with yet another used one, which is
probably someone else's castoff problem.

Suggestions?? Am I into a Mallory yet??

BTW - I noticed that the small wire in dizzy 2 from plate to body
is NOT the usual flexible, cloth covered wire but is rather
a stiffer plastic insulation that seems to crack, open up,
and short out. Is this wire replaceable?
</quest>

chuckc

///