Re: Knurled Nut on Dizzy Advance Mechanism

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Knurled Nut on Dizzy Advance Mechanism
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 16:31:50 EDT
chuck <chuckc@attglobal.net> wrote:

<<<I have a Lucas 25D w/advance. Today, while trying to retime it, I noticed
that the advance unit seemed "a little loose," . In any case, I discovered
that the knurled nut that you use to adjust the spark was gone. Found it
nestled down on the starter body (thank goodness). When I put it back on, I
could not get any real adjustment out of it. I could snug it all the way up
(clockwise, in the direction of the Retard arrow). But if I backed it off at
all, the whole unit was loose. Should there be another spring in there beside
the spring that goes to the post on the plate??

chuck (chuckc@attglobal.net) ciaffone>>>

There is supposed to be a spring on the shaft that the knurled adjuster nut
threads on to. From your description, it appears to have slid out when the
adjuster nut popped out. without it the whole vacuum unit will wobble around.
Moss offers it as part #163-730 in the MGB catalog. They don't show the 25Ds
in as much detail in the Midget catalog for some reason despite most of the
parts being the same. There is also supposed to be a small "spring washer" in
the groove at the end of the shaft to keep it all from winding too far out
and coming apart. The ratchet clip Frank Clarici refers to helps hold the
dialed in position of the knurled nut, but does not stabilize the vacuum unit
from wobbling around as I read your problem to be.

Kim Tonry
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA

///