Re: 2 questions.

To: spritenut@Exit109.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2 questions.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 09:49:31 EDT
In a message dated 4/12/01 6:21:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
spritenut@Exit109.com writes:

> 2) Colum mounted head ligh di switch, no dash head light switch
> installed yet, Why are my headlights on?
> Hopefully the harness didn't smoke, no signs of smoke anyway.
> Power to the switch is disconnected, the the blue wire is hanging out of
> the dash as is the brown/blue. Parking lights are off, they work when
> switched. But the headlights stay on all the time.
> I don't recall day time running lights on 69s, and even so, they should
> only go on with the key, not always on unless you disconnect the

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have the colum mounted head ligh di switch on my '77 Midget.  I'm pretty
sure (I don't have my wiring diagrams at work!) that the switch completes the
circuit to ground.  So the hot goes to the headlights first, then to the
switch, which goes to ground.  If there is a short to ground between the
headlight and the switch, the lights will be on all the time.

Either trace the wire from the headlights back to the switch and fix the
short, or do what all the DPOs do...just cut that wire (but leave it in
place) and use some old speaker wire (24 gauge is fine) to replace it.  Make
sure you wrap it around the carbs and exhaust manifold, then take it under
the car and drill a hole in the floorboard to run it up to the switch.
(Sorry.  I think I need a weekend.)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget