Re: More trouble

To: "Bill Mantz" <bmantz@roanoke.infi.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More trouble
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:49:38 -0500
Bill,

How did you check the battery?  Even a bad battery may have 12+ volts at
rest, but with even the smallest load it will drop to 7-8 +/- volts and not
have enough power to light the lights.  Your regulator does nothing while
you are starting the car, it basically keeps the battery from overcharging
when the engine is running.  Your problem could also be a bad or corroded
connection on the battery posts or the engine ground to the chassis.  If it
were mine I would put a charger on the battery, clean the posts, check the
ground straps and the connection to the starter.  Then when enough time to
charge the battery has passed,  measure the voltage drop at the battery when
you try to start the car.  If it is low or goes to 8 volts or so then you
need a new battery.  If the voltage stays up then keep looking for a bad
connection.  The battery ground bolts to the chassis just above the
windscreen washer pump, make sure its connection is clean too.

Mark
Nashville

http://www.nashvilletn.org
http://members.home.com/mendicott