Clutch bleed problems ...

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch bleed problems ...
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:39:12 +0200
Good Morning Spridget and MG World,

I've had quite a bit of trouble bleeding my clutch hydraulics over the weekend.

(i) The Haynes manual does not mention the access hole in the driver's
footwell.  Until I discovered this from a note in the Moss catalogue I was
struggling underneath the car.

(ii) It was very hard to turn the bleed nipple with the bleed tube attached as
access was a big problem.  It looks like a ratchet spanner would really help
here.  What spanner model/make will allow me to turn the bleed nipple whilst
the tube is attached given this limited access i.e. what do the  listers use ?

(iii) After finally charging up the circuit with fluid and bleeding using
Easibleed I found that the clutch pedal did nothing.  There was no sign of any
motion of the clutch slave when the pedal was pressed and the pedal pressure
felt just the same as it did with no fluid in it.   There were no obvious fluid
leaks and the level of fluid in the reservoir was constant.  What is the
diagnostic procedure here ?  I'd like to pinpoint the fault before stripdown of
the master/slave cylinders.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Louis Mehr