timing chains and bal;ancers

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: timing chains and bal;ancers
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:22:14 -0000
gerard,

at 60k on the motor i would seriously consider the new gears.
and as forthe balancer's rubber showing some signs of early
deterioration......it would urge me to have it more thoroughly checked for
still running concentric , and not being out of round or any cracks as was
advised .  if found to be sound , i would not hesitate to go ahead and use
it.   as with my 55 chevies here these cars we love so much are not getting
any younger( like we are ?).
things beginning to show signs of their age.  metal fatigue at the more
stressed places.  rubber deterioration due to age, atmosphere, and exposure
to grease, oil and heat.   certain parts are going to become more and more
in demand as time passes due to these factors.  as for anyone rebuilding
balancers?  i am unaware of anyone at this point.  i do know there is a
movement in the vintage saab comunity to "recast" 2 stroke motor and trans
mounts as their lack of availability and need has prompted this.   i donated
all my saab mounts as cores to this project with hopes of 1 day getting a
set  for myself.   possibly one day some of the similar spridget items may
go that direction?  as keepers of the faith if it is to happen , we will be
the ones who will probably initiate it though ,  who knows!   i'm in the
middle of reproducing no longer available saab parts as we speak , on a
rather serious level.   possibly one day i might be looking into spridget
parts too.

chuck.

///