Re: Rings Seated?

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Rings Seated?
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 21:21:57 -0700
Cc: David Ramsey <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Frank,
     First 100 to 200 miles the engine was not revved over 3500 RPM.  At about
325 miles I had been taking it to 4000 during shifting.  Last week I accidentily
downshifted to 2nd on a corner when I should have shifted to 3rd.  Engine went
to 5000 momentarily.  No problems so far, except there is blue smoke on start
up, but it goes away immediately.  My son tells me he sees the smoke again after
we sit at a light too long and I start off again.  Rings not seated or valve
guides too loose?
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite

Frank Clarici wrote:

> David Ramsey wrote:
> >
> > Mike, A lot depends on what kind of rings you put in.  Soft rings are
> > already seated and the hard rings may never do so.  My advise is to go for
> > it, if they aren't broke in yet that should really help.  I only baby my
> > engines for about 1 hour "run in" before I start breaking in the rings at
> > all RPM's.  Sounds like fun, go for it.
>
> Ditto!
> But only give them about 20 minutes then drive it like you are going to
> drive it.
> If you baby it too long you will build up a ridge, first high RPM and
> the rings will hit that ridge and break. (in theory anyway)
>
> --
>
> Frank Clarici
> Toms River, NJ
> Lots of Sprites