RE: Compression

To: "'Spridget List'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Compression
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 09:27:46 -0700
Robert Duquette:

Well, my first compression test was done last Saturday morning

I did 2 dry tests with the engine warmed up, air filters off, throttle tied
open and all plugs out.
Then I did 1 wet test.

dry:
    4        3        2       1
  180   182   145   170
  182   185   142   175
wet
  225   235   197   210

What I don't understand is why the smoke only comes during a particular part
of the warm up and is accompanied by a rattle and then goes away???

Hi Robert:

On a compression test the relationship of the numbers is what's important.

So it appears you definitely have something going on with cylinder number 2.

Depending on the extent and cause of the smoke, a tear down is not
probably immediately necessary - but maybe others can comment.

I am just guessing here but it sounds like with a cold engine oil is getting
into a cylinder and causing a miss fire (rattle).

You are not over filing the crankcase are you? That has happened to me once.
It does not take much to overfill and cause smoking.

I hope this helps

Ray

1967 Midget

///