British Car Week nearly upon us

To: mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: British Car Week nearly upon us
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 00:29:39 EDT
But trust me, it hasn't kept me from driving my Midget around.

The wife and I took the MG to a local ice cream shop right at the harbor on
an unusually warm May evening. While standing in line, a kid pulls up to my
car, maybe 10-12 years old, and says "Sir, this is a really nice car". First,
my heart breaks because I am being addressed as Sir, not because the Queen
never knighted me, but because I am only 28. Anyhow, I thank him, and his
next question was "How fast does it go?"

I pause for a moment. I think to myself, well, according to the manual, the
car has about 65hp. With the Weber carb, maybe maybe 70-75hp. The kid is
looking up at me, who I am guessing has Dodge Viper and Ferrari F50 posters
on his wall, I finally confess "Well, not fast, but peppy." His response was
"Well, it's a cool looking car anyhow" and pedals off...

Days later I went out to get some beer, and another car pulls up, and he
instantly starts complimenting the car. Finally he gets around to what year
is it, and I respond that it's a '78. He tells me he had a '76 Midget, and
that he had thought about getting another one, but instead I got that.
Gesturing to the lot outside, he is pointly squarely at a Honda Del Sol. I
bite my tongue, and tell him at least he can drive the Honda everyday. Now
now gentlemen, I know some of you Midget owners DO drive them everyday, but
in this case it was the most polite thing for me to say since I was at a loss
for words.

In any case, this should go to show that bringing your cars out does and will
generate a lot of interest not just amoung former MG owners (I've met many of
them), but kids too, and it is the visibilty of our cars on the road that
keeps people interested. Even here in CT, where there are quite a few MG's
around, you would be suprised at how many people come up to me and express
their shock that these cars are still on the road.

So, ladies and gentlemen, I look forward to next week, and I will make it a
point to drive my MG as much as I can. Hope you can too!

Cheers,
Tom