Re: Removing chrome?

To: <TMHEFFRON@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Removing chrome?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:32:49 -0400
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Terry
I've experimented with electroplating at home, which requires removing
chrome when restoring parts. It involves acid, (sulfuric or muriatic) then
electrically reversing the plating process. Not a fun thing to do especially
on a large item like a wheel! I've sort of abandoned the idea of home chrome
plating, but have had good results with copper and nickel for those under
hood items like linkages, brackets etc.
I would suggest sandblasting using black beauty or an aluminum oxide media
which should etch the remaining chrome sufficiently to provide a good
surface for primer to adhere.

Good luck,
John