Interesting item on eBay web site item#591660521: Austin Healey : Bugey

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Interesting item on eBay web site item#591660521: Austin Healey : Bugeye
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 07:23:33 -0700
Hello spridgets,
                 A thought that has been rattling around in the back
                 of my head for a couple of months... concerning the
                 "VALUE" of our "hobby"...

                 (as in aside, the car that went for $42,000 at barret
                 jackson was a rare 1961(?) two seat healey 3000, NOT
                 A BUGEYE!!!)

                 everyone on list seems to have chosen these cars out
                 of love and devotion, not because they are
                 "collectors".. most have had this, may i call it a
                 failing?, for a number of years.. some have had their
                 cars for well over 20.. and remember that they were
                 meant as throw-aways when originally built.. and sold
                 very inexepensivelly (cheap cars!!!) (WE) cannot
                 believe that as such they could EVER under any
                 circumstances become valuable.. but it seems they
                 HAVE.. despite our best efforts!  This is not to say
                 that this guy isn't absolutely NUTZ.. i mean
                 $20,000.. come on... BUT...

                 i gave my nephew a ride in my 66.... and asked him..
                 hey.. what do YOU think this car is worth? he said
                 uh.. i'd have to guess $40,000!... .. to the
                 uninitiated they are "fancy, antique, collectible
                 cars.... and the reality is that they are worth what
                 someone is willing to pay.. whether it is $200 or
                 $20,000.. and the market is going up...

                 We should rejoice that WE already have ours, and the
                 parts are cheap and plentiful.. and easy to work on..
                 (since they ALWAYS need something!)

--
Best regards,
 Bill                          mailto:pythias@pacifier.com