Fw: Still learning.......

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Still learning.......
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 19:58:57 -0400
Greg,

A long distance diagnosis is often more accurate if there is too much
information rather than not enough. That being said, let's try to narrow
some things down before we tell you to rebuild your engine!

Does it knock at speeds under 30 mph?
Does it knock while going thru the RPM range, if so where does it start? (1K
or 7K)
While you are moving, does it knock if you put it in neutral and coast?
Below 30 mph?
What is your oil pressure in a warm engine?
Does it knock when the engine is cold or only when hot?
What is your water temperature when it knocks?
Does the car vibrate harshly when it knocks?

Somethings to check other than the engine include:

Front hubs, make sure the bolts holding the rotors on are tight. I have seen
them loose and it causes a knocking noise accompanied by a harsh vibration
that gets worse as the speed increases.

U-joint in the driveshaft, usually make noise at lower speeds though and has
a light vibration.

Broken tooth in the ring gear, terrible noise, vibration consistent with
speed but always letting you know that something is wrong.

Hope this helps some. Let us know whatever else you can...

Kent
1960 Bugeye

Subject: Still learning.......