Re: Attaching Electrical tach for Sprite MKII

To: Andrew Sisson <asisson@one.net>
Subject: Re: Attaching Electrical tach for Sprite MKII
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 22:43:40 -0400
Cc: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Andrew Sisson wrote:

> Can anyone explain what gets connected where on this thing?

On the back of the tach there is a connection for a loop, a spade
terminal, and ground.

Run a green wire from the fuse block (or jump over from the "B" side of
the fuel gauge) to the spade terminal.

Run a white wire from the ignition switch around the loop terminal and
make a loop in the wire, this is for the electromagnetic pick up, This
wire then goes to the coil (+ or SW side)
If you have a harness for a MKII, you should eliminate the existing coil
wire (just unplug it, do not cut it) Run a new wire from the key around
the loop in the tach and to the coil.
Then ground the tack with the black wire in your harness to one of the
thumb screws that hold it in.

The above wiring is for a + grd tach and wired + ground.
If you have converted to - grd, you will have to open up the tach,
remove the guts, swap the resistor from the spade terminal to the wire
right next to it. Unsolder both of them, switch places, re-solder and
the tach is now - grd.

> And, if anyone has an Austin-Healey Electrical tach for sale, I'd be
> interested in that too.

I have a couple.
--

Frank Clarici