Re: Questions about my '72 Midget

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Questions about my '72 Midget
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:48:18 EDT
In a message dated 6/4/2001 8:46:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com writes:

> 1.  The car has been desmogged, and also has an alloy valve cover without a
> breather for the carbon cannister, which isn't there anyway.  Should I have
> a vented oil filler cap?

Yes, you should.  Unless the Valve cover is vented.  Then the vent tube
should run into a collector of some sort to keep oil from spraying all over
your engine and compartment, as has been my expereince.

> 2.  The carb breather going from the front float bowl is now open to the
> air... it used to also go to the gulp valve/PCV I think.  Should I block it
> up?  Is it venting fuel vapors?

I don't know--I have a Weber.

> 3.  When I do my tune up, should the timing be altered to account for the
> lack of the air injection pump?

Yes--you should use pre-smog specs to set your timing.

> 4.  Are '72 cars supposed to have oil coolers, or were they just dealer
> options?  Are oil coolers worth the money if my regular cooling system is in
> good order?  In cooler weather, I'd rather have the engine oil heat up
> faster.

An option.  My 1500 has always run so cool (except once) that I had to go
with a 190 degree thermostat.  So I have never thought much about an oil
cooler.  Sounds like you probably don't need one if you mean by "in good
order" that your engine is running cool.

--David C.