Re: Best List and THANK YOU!!

To: converse@swbell.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Best List and THANK YOU!!
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:09:09 EDT
converse@swbell.net writes:

> I also wanted to let you know that our new baby is at the mechanics.
> Doesn't look too bad right now, knock on wood. Still know reason for the
> clutch problem...even stump the mechanic. Transmission and motor look fine.
> Carb will have to be rebuilt...it's leaking a bit and was bone dry on oil.
> Brake system will be completely overhauled as well as most of the front end
> and some of the back end...for now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It sounds like you are well on your way to having a great "driver."  Don't
forget that the real fun of owning an LBC is the satisfaction you get from
fixing something yourself.  (And there is usually more than enough to fix!)

An example is the brake system.  All of the brakes on a Spridget are very
easy to work on for the novice mechanic who has a little common sense.  Get
them rebuilt by your mechanic, but next year, pull the wheels and a rear drum
and check them out.  Take a look at the calipers in the front and inspect the
flex hoses.  It probably won't need any work that soon, but you'll be more
familair with the territory.  As you get to know the parts underneath your
car, you will enjoy it more.

When we were working on Amy's Sprite last month, I showed her how to change
the fan belt, and Frank showed her how to do a tune up, oil and filter
change, and adjust the valve lash.  These are regular maintenance procedures
that every owner should know, and they are easy.

Think about the looks you'll get when you go into work on a Monday morning
and tell everyone that the MG was running a little rough so you adjusted the
valve lash...now it purrs like a kitten.  (I haven't mentioned cats in a
while.  Excuse me!)  Dirty fingernails make for a happy LBC owner!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport