Time Has Come

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, judson@autox.team.net
Subject: Time Has Come
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:46:48 -0700
I just passed the 1500 mile mark on my restored 948 Bugeye yesterday and
was having a problem getting the idle below 12-1300 rpm.  This has been
a problem since I first got it running, but recently the idle has been
getting in the higher RPMs.  I took it over to my friend's house that I
bought the car from and who has worked on and restored Healeys big and
small for over 30 years to see if he could help with this.  We
discovered the rear SU H1 carb was the problem.  The butterfly would be
forced back open at idle from too much vacuum.  Spring pressure was not
enough to keep it closed.  Another reason I had such a hard time
adjusting and synchronizing them.  He told me to go home and take off
the carbs and bring them back and he would work on them.  I had a better
idea.  After 1500 miles the engine is just about broke in and I have a
restored Judson sitting in a plastic container in my garage.  You do the
math.  I will be installing the Judson this week.  I will keep the list
informed of the progress and results.  Have also been informed of a 2
cycle oil to use in the oiler for motorcycles called CM+.  The + stands
for an octane booster which makes sense as Marvel Mystery Oil would tend
to reduce the anti-knock properties of the fuel as oil dilutes octanes.
CM+ is also a synthetic.  Now to find some.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite