Re: Newbie

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:27:03 -0700
> Is there anything special I should look for and where are the areas most
> prone to rust.

Bob,
Good advice already offered.  My 77 had rust in the lower rear fenders and
also just ahead of the rear wheel wells.  Also around the battery mount from
leaking battery acid.  (That is the tougher area to repair actually due to
accessibility.)  Check for Smog system mods.  Dependant on the state you
live in these can be inspected and some parts like the air pumps are just
not available.  The 77 was fitted with a belt driven air pump and a
catalytic converter which sits in the first pipe in the exhaust system.  Of
course if you have a cooperative garage or are in a less particular state
these items can get overlooked.  Mind you, these things never did improve
the drivability of the auto - so they were often removed as "power robbers".

Good Luck!
Dick
'77 Midget - "Maggie"
'53 TF - "Winston"