Big Bore rebuild

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Big Bore rebuild
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:58:36 EDT
Hi everybody.

I am building a new motor for my bugeye and I am seriously considering using
73.5 mm pistons.  The car is already running a warmed up 1275 bored 20 over,
but the old motor is leaking oil and I never really went through it before
installing it.  The new one will also be a street motor, and I am leaning
toward using a Longman GT7 cylinder head.  I am still unsure about which cam
to use.  I want the motor to be as smooth as possible with something around
100 hp at or below 6,000 rpm.  I'd like to be able to idle around 1,000 rpm.
Carbs are twin 1.5 SUs and exhaust is an LCB header.  All moving parts will
be balanced and I am going to take the opportunity to install a 5 speed kit.

I was wondering if any of you could offer any advice based on experience
regarding which combinations work best on the street with the big bore
pistons.  I do not want to sacrafice much in the way of drivability, and I
don't want to overheat etc.  Have people found it necessary to install new
steel main bearing caps?  Also, has anybody had any experience with the
aluminum cylinder heads I see advertised at Minimania?

Lots of questions, I know, but Vizard's book doesn't really address the best
combination of components for a 1380 street motor and there are a number of
possible head and cam combinations (not to mention long stroke cranks!!)

Thanks for your help

Bill E.