Re: INteresting Problems.

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: INteresting Problems.
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 23:06:45 -0400
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
DLancer7676@cs.com wrote:
> And the thermostat was OPEN when I removed it, indicating that it
> was letting water go through.  But when it was removed, the engine stopped
> running hot.

  This may sound pedantic, but did you observe that the car
was running cooler by other factors other than the gauge?

  Depending on the layout of the cooling system, sometimes changes
can affect what the gauge reads without really affecting the
running temperature.

  I forgot what year your midget was, so I don't know the layout.

> AND, what made the pushrod jump from under the rocker arm?  The rocker arm
> was adjusted to spec and when I found it loose I checked the locknut and
> adjuster and both were tight.  The pushrod seems straight, although I will
> recheck it by rolling on a flat surface.

  This will happen if a valve sticks, such as from
major overheating causing the tolerances to change.

  The valve opens and stays down because it sticks
in the guide, so when the cam lobe lets the pushrod
down, it falls out of "ball" on the rocker arm
and then it's free to fly.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca