Re: What to Do? (lengthy)

To: "Keith Ickes" <kickes@IR.ColoState.EDU>
Subject: Re: What to Do? (lengthy)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 22:48:56 -0400 FILETIME=[492B6AB0:01C10F35]
Cc: "spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
It seems pretty simple to me:  If you have a sentimental attachment to the
car, do the dumb thing and waste your money fixing it up.  If you don't have
a sentimental attachment to it, sell it for whatever you can get for
it.....which, from your description, sounds pretty close to about $1.85.

Bob

>Here is the situation. I have had a 1958 Austin Healey Sprite (Bugeye)
since
>1969. When I bought the car it had over 140,000 miles on it and although
the
>speedometer never worked while I was actively driving the car, I know that
I put
> [...]
>
> Options so far.
>
> Under any circumstance, is it worth trying to repair the steel bonnet?
>The center section with the headlights is in perfect shape and I guess
could be
>of value to someone else. With so much repair, would it be better to just
buy an
>fiberglass copy of the original bonnet and not repair the steel one?)
>
> I figure that I can buy the needed body panels from England for about
>$3,500 and then labor to weld them all on correctly $?) So, for maybe
>$6,000-$7,000 and a lot of my time and effort I could have a somewhat
restored
>Bugeye (which will never be very great because of the patches and bondo and
lead
>still on the car). It would be a fair to middlin' car - low on power and
low on
>resale value. I admit I have grown accustomed to much speedier driving
options
>in the last 32 years and this seems rather boring. I would probably want to
sell
>it.
>
> A second option is to do all of the body work ($$$) and then upgrade to
>a 1275 (?$$$) and a five speed Rivergate conversion, front disk brakes,
nice
>wheels (wire or minilite-like). The car would still lack real vintage value
due
>to all the repairs, but it would be a little speedier and might have some
curb
>appeal.
>
> A third option is to replace the engine with another more powerful one -
>Mazda 13B rotary, Toyota twincam, ??? and a five speed transmission. Put a
>fiberglass racing bonnet on it with flared fenders. Replace the rear
fenders
>with full flared fiberglass replacements. Go to 6" or 7" wide wheels all
around
>and lower profile, wider tires (175/50 or 215/50). There is a yellow Sprite
on
>PDLJMPR with an Alfa engine that seems like a good model. Either an
independent
>rear suspension (I have done one of these before) or strengthened axles in
the
>original dif. Originality is gone, obviously, but the original parts of the
car
>have been eaten away anyway. The result would be a fun car (significant
speed,
>possibly autocross) but would require lots of work on my part to carry it
all
>off.
>
> So colleagues, how go your votes and suggestions?
>
> So far, I am not contemplating selling it since I have had it for so
>long. But if I can't find a viable solution, or if the recommendation seems
>be that it is beyond reasonable repair, then I might be willing to part it
out.