Abingdon Trials Endurance Rally

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Abingdon Trials Endurance Rally
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 13:21:14 EDT
Please excuse me if this goes through twice. I sent it yesterday but it never
showed up on the Digest.

Calling all MGers who enjoy a challenge!

The Abingdon Trials Endurance Rally will be held on August 2-3 in conjunction
with the Abingdon Summer Party, successor to John Twist's University Motors
Summer Party. The 1000 mile rally will start with a 7:00 am drivers meeting
at the host hotel, Jumer's Continental Inn in Galesburg, Illinois (gateway to
Abingdon, IL). Details are being finalized, but latest word is that the rally
will be run as a Double 12 with the overnight at Jumer's. Competitors will be
given a list of checkpoints they must visit and bring back proof of
visitation. The winner will be the car that completes the course with the
lowest official adjusted mileage. Completing certain tasks as specified by
the rallymasters may result in bonus miles being awarded which will be
deducted from the competitors adjusted mileage. Single entries and teams of
2-5 cars are eligible.

The rallymasters are Jim and Thad Cousino of Montague, Michigan, winners of
last year's Trials. They can be reached at jlcousino@earthlink.net or
231-894-6105 for further information or copies of this year's rules.

The Abingdon Trials was begun in 1998 as a Fall complement to the Missouri
Endurance in the Spring and the legendary Lap of Lake Michigan Endurance
Trials started in 1993 by Phil and Dallas Smith in conjunction with Twist's
Summer Party.
Bill Hedrick and I won the last Lake Michigan and discharged our
responsibility to put on last years rally by folding it into the Abingdon
Trials which with the annual Abingdon event were moved into summer as the
official successor to Twist's party. We don't go around the lake anymore -
but the roads are gorgeous out in the upper midwest and a blessed relief from
the choked roads and traffic of everyday existance. If you have confidence in
your MG and your rally partner, you will have a great time!

Further details and updates on the Trials and the whole Abingdon Summer Party
can be found on the Chicagoland MG Club website at:
http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Kim Tonry (aka Boomer Bomber - Bomber Brothers Endurance Rallying)
Downers Grove, IL