Geezers x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Geezers x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:09:32 -0400
I know this is in a way off the subject of LBCs, however, since the
subject of gentlemanliness has been brought up I feel an urge to
tell this short little story.

During one of the many small town old car events regularly held
here in Florida that I attend occasionally, I took a walk with a young
 lady LBC member to visit the towns antique shops to see what
we might find interesting.   She was, perhaps, in her late twenties.
As an old geezer from another distant decade with certain ingrained
manners, I automatically found myself trying to stay on the street
side of her even though she unintentionally kept crowding me close
to the edge of the curb.

Walking on the outside of your lady on the street side, of course, is a
very old custom that reaches all the way back to the Victorian era.
It is a courtesy expected from male escorts to protect their ladies
from horses hoofs and moving carriages splashing water and mud
from the streets gutters.  Later on it would be protection from the
horseless carriages.

When I was a young boy there was certain courtesies that were
automatically drilled into young boys minds by their fathers like never
 to hit a girl, or never fight a boy wearing glasses and it was
considered
a cardinal sin if you should ever hit a guy when he is down or below his

 belt.  There are many other forgotten courtesies like taking your hat
off
in elevators, ladies first,  offering your seat to a lady on the street
car, etc.

Anyway, when this nice lady finally asked me what the heck I was
trying to do I explained the old custom and hoped I hadnt offended her.

Surprised as if this was the first time she had ever heard of it, or, at
least
something she had long forgotten, replied, Oh, I think thats just so
sweet!
I dont know why, although theres really no reason for it, I did feel
somewhat embarrassed.

Well, anyway, she didnt seem to be insulted and Im thankful that she
didnt call me a chauvinist pig.  Strange, isnt it, how drastic things
can turn around?

Roy Rogers
1960 Sprite
1985 RX7