Re: 5 speed and diffs was:Re: Top secret speedo codes.

To: Eddie Sheffield <eddie@mediarchive.com>, Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, derf <derfman@eatel.net>
Subject: Re: 5 speed and diffs was:Re: Top secret speedo codes.
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 21:45:17 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Eddie
Paul at Morrisservice can have a speedo adapter made that will make any of
the speedometers accurate.  I chose to run the 3.73 rear end on my Midget
with the 5-speed.  When you mention freeway driving, out here in California
on interstates I-5 and I-80 the flow of traffic is often between 75 and
80MPH, and even with gears that tall, and 5th gear overdrive, I'll be
running 4200-4500 rpm just to keep with the flow of traffic.  A stock 1275
has plenty of low end torque to get the car moving quickly even with the
taller rear axle ratio.  Just not the quickest combo for autocrossing.
(although with the 5 speed I can drop into first to exit a tight corner, and
my buddy with the 4.22 and a locker can't!)
David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon
70 Torino