Re: [midgetsprite] Water Temp Gauge

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, bugeye@yahoogroups.com, Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Water Temp Gauge
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 09:51:20 EDT
jarplanner@aol.com writes:

> I pulled out dual water temp/oil pressure gauge (orginal Bugeye gauge) from
> my parts car to see if it worked. Made sure dial moved okay, then cleaned
> sensor end & placed in boiling water. No dial movement!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The gauge can be rebuilt (for a price) by several suppliers.  I have a late
Midget that has a dual gauge and the water temp uses a capilary tube that is
filled with some mysterious stuff.  If the tube is broken the stuff escapes
and it is not possible to rebuild at home.  I envision that they have a big
vat of this "stuff" and they rebuild the gauge under the surface whilst
wearing scuba gear.  (I could be wrong.)

If the gauge looks good, either have it rebuilt or give it to someone who
wants to spend the money.  It is a shame to throw away parts for a
40-something year old car if they can still be used by someone.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport