RE: Big Bummer

To: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Big Bummer
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 20:55:20 -0500
Since we're telling war stories....

I'm 20, and had just gotten my Bugeye shell back from
the body shop where the guy had laid down a "perfect"
black paint job on it.  Needless to say, I can't wait to
put everything back together.

I decided to start by putting the engine and
tranny in first.

Take off the bonnet (by myself) and stand it up in the
grass in the front yard.  Man, it's hot in Texas on
a summer afternoon....

Ok, get the transmission all bolted in.  Whew, is
it hot, wish I could get a little relief.

Get the engine in place using my home-made engine
lift (2 sawhorse brackets, 5 2x4's, and a come-along).

Start bolting the two together.

Whoosh.....  FINALLY, a bit of a breeze, man that's
a re.....  BONG!

I can't even look up.

Musta stood there for five minutes, bent over that engine.

I KNEW what that sound was.  I hadn't just been kicked
off the Gong Show.

Finally look up, and there's the bonnet, looking like a
turtle on it's back.

Walk over, praying that nothing's wrong.  It fell in the
grass, right?  Grass is soft.......

Along the back of the bonnet, there was one long crack
from side to side where they had put bondo to cover a
bad weld job.

Ran in the house to call my mom...

"Mom,......I.....Uh...(wimper, wimper)....I....I.."

"Rob, TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG!"
Fearing that I had dropped the car on my leg or something.

"I...CRACKED MY NEW PAINT JOB (waaaaaaaa!)"

I think she actually sniffled (or snickered).

Car still has the crack, but is in pieces now, going
through another restoration.  You can bet I'll never
stand the bonnet up on it's end again.

-Rob