My old car (No LBC, and way off topic)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: My old car (No LBC, and way off topic)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:39:51 EDT
I just read that Ford has to recall a whole buncha cars for bad ignition
modules.  Below is a quote from AP.

"Under the agreement, Ford said it would replace the ignition devices in all
Ford vehicles nationwide that have stalled and have no more than 100,000
miles, which is an estimated 500,000 to 650,000 vehicles in California and an
estimated 5 million nationwide.

"The suit challenged Ford's placement of the thick film ignition module,
which regulates electric current to the spark plugs. In 300 makes and models
sold between 1983 and 1995, the module was mounted on the distributor near
the engine block, where it was exposed to high temperatures.

"The 300 makes and models include Ford's Taurus, LTD, Ranger, Bronco, Mustang
and Escort, according to Ford. Cars from Ford's Lincoln and Mercury divisions
that had the device include the Town Car, Sable and Grand Marquis.

"The agreement says Ford will extend all warranties to 100,000 miles for
affected vehicles and pay to replace the ignition if it stalls and needs
replacing before the new 100,000 mile warranty is up."

Well, I had an '86 Sable and the ignition module died while I was driving the
car.  Luckily, it was on a back road, and I drifted it into a parking space
before I walked home.  I had the car towed, and they found that the ignition
module failed.  That was several years ago, but I wonder if I can still
collect?

It's probably not worth the trouble.  Although I probably still have the
receipt from the repair somewhere.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget