Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:46:25 -0400
Cc: John.Deikis@med.va.gov, spridgets@autox.team.net
Frank Clarici wrote:

> John
>
> You can get to the bolt by jacking up the engine.
> Undo both front motor mounts first, you don't have to touch the tranny mounts.
> Don't forget the lock tab, bend it back before undoing the bolt.
> It is 1 5/16". Impact wrench works best or lock it down with a breaker bar and
> hit the starter (remove coil wire so it doesn't fire up)
> I never heard of longer bolts. Never had a problem with the stock short bolt.

  I too would be interested to hear if this has
ever caused a problem on an A-series.

  This area is a known weakness an a few cars out
there. My wife's Miata has the old style Miata crankshaft
that is known to have this problem, so timing belt
change procedures are a little more involved and
have to be followed pretty closely.

  (ie: Change the bolt each time you remove it,
torque as accurately as you can, do not use an impact
wrench, etc. etc)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca