RE: racing Miatas

To: "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: racing Miatas
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:33:56 -0700
I considered buying a Miata too... The sales rep showed me a performance
parts catalog, including a $2,400 turbocharger available, which bumps up the
power to 240 BHP.

Miatas are getting popular with road racers ... There is a Spec Miata
regional class now for 1990 through 1997 cars- the rules (see
racernetwork.com) are based on SCCA showroom stock- engines must not be
modified, apart from a K&N filter... Transmission is standard... There is a
standard "Spec Miata Kit" available from MazdaComp, including roll cage,
suspension kit (Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs), anti roll bar, coilover
kit... some interior items can be removed, a racing seat can be installed...
Clutches and radiators are free, you can fit a better exhaust... Some view
the "Spec Miata" as the replacement for the 1979-1985 series RX "Spec 7"-
minimum weight for both is 2400 lbs but the Miata has more power, and
parts/cars should be available for a long time...

I have a friend who has a 1990 Miata and races a 1982 RX Spec 7- he views
both as extremely reliable. His stock Miata has just over 100,000 miles, and
I don't think he has done anything to it except routine maintenance.

Jacques Le Clainche
SCCA 1985 Mazda Spec RX-7 #44, San Diego region
VARA 1960 Austin-Healey Sprite #4, F Production