Re: 1976 MG Midget

To: Beverly Cleary <bcleary@awod.com>
Subject: Re: 1976 MG Midget
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:28:51 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Beverly Cleary wrote:

> I have a 1976 MG Midget.  On the side of it is a gray stripe and it has
> letters on it "SPECIAL".  On the glove box there is a bronze plaque - "1776 -
> 1976"; it has a luggage rack on the trunk.  Does anyone out there know if this
> model was made for the US's celebration in 1976?

Beverly, according to the Original Sprite and Midget (herein referred to as the
OS&M) on page 121 there is a photo of an orange "Special". These cars were
offered
in June of 1976 as an attempt to bring up flagging sales in North America. The
"Special" was offered with many "free" optional extras to try and lure potential
buyers. These were, chromed luggage rack, chromed trim rings for the rostyle
wheels, and an AM-FM radio. They also had the distinctive "T" stripe of which
you
mention. I have a Vermillion "Special" that will one day live as a streetable
rotary butt kicker................... Brad