Re: Future M@ss restoration frustrations

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Future M@ss restoration frustrations
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:41:51 EDT
In a message dated 8/16/01 8:09:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, SDOliner@aol.com
writes:

<<  recall reading an article on the design of the Miada. This car was
intended
 to drive like a LBC from day one.  >>

   The Miata was actually computer designed with the input of many sports car
enthusiasts around the world, including a couple in the local MG club; the
consensus was that it should have  the panache of of an Alfa, the simplicity
of an early MGB, the luxury of a Jag, and the pure sports car ambience of a
leaky, smelly leather-seated  Bugeye  without the leaks and the smell ..
They did a pretty good job making it nimble and comfy, but I think they
missed the mark in terms of character.... the engine is too buzzy because
they believed that everyone wanted a 7,000 rev tach... the brakes are just
shy of great  and have caused the downfall of many an incompetent  driver who
believed that brakes alone would save the day.... the seats are just a little
too cushy and the suspension (stock) tends to understeer and feels kind of
floppy under really hard cornering. Stock tires are too skinny, and the top
is too easy to operate.... There's no sensation of speed at 70 unless you add
the lowering kit and the forklift profiled tires.... the driver simply sits
too upright, too far off the ground....
     BUT, with the right parts - recaro seat, lowering kit, springs, struts,
tires/wheels, brakes and some performance engine  mods, it makes a near-great
all purpose commuter/weekend autocrosser.
      You can also order the  LBC-wannabee package:  they  leave a few pan
and valve cover bolts loose, add some air to the brake system and shred the
seat foams, then add some copper core plug wires for the static effect on the
sound system, and bend the top rails to get that really annoying wind whistle
...but it's  still a ways off from  a REAL Brit sports car.... Cookie Cutters
don;t build character ....

  I have the  complete drive train from my great-deal of a used 93 which took
a huge hit in 97 while parked (it bent, front to rear,  at the drivers door
on a 15* angle....)  I have given much consideration to finding a suitable
body to accomodate the irs. any suggestions?  I don't want to chop up my 63
Midg or my 64 MGB shell.... something a little more esoteric like an early
Alfa Spyder  might benefit with a simpler engine and a better gearbox....
Mark