Re: Safety was State of current British cars

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Safety was State of current British cars
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:21:32 EDT
In a message dated 8/16/01 9:36:27 PM, tob.sprite.landcruiser@home.com writes:

<< >> Safer? Wanna go head on with a 49 Packard? >

Nope.  However, the fact that our Spridgets are much more responsive than
most cars makes it a whole lot easier to avoid going head on with anything.
We have driven our way out of many accidents that would have spelled disaster
for us and our car because some "49 packard" lumbered onto a dark road
without his lights and kept driving that way for a half mile til we caught up
with him at 60 mph.  It isn't the car, it is the people who drive them.  On a
couple of occasions we have found it necessary to pull 180's just to avoid
some dumbbell who "couldn't see that little bitty thing".

We had a Honda 600 in the 70's about which we joked that if it came to an
accident we lost. It was rear-ended at 45 mph (I was waiting to make a left
turn into a convenience store.)  Before coming to a stop after being hit I
crossed 2 lanes of traffic, climbed a 8" concrete barrier, and struck the d
ock bumper of a 1 ton truck parked in the parking lot.  I moved the truck
(with my Honda 600 torpedo) at least 18" to do damage to the Buick that was
parked next to  it.  The Honda was totalled with both front and back smashed
in, however there was no broken glass and no damage in the passenger
compartment. (The carton of milk smashed open; the bottle of rum survived.)
My injuries were confined to knee problems because I hit it on the heater
control on the dash.

I just realized that Bob had a similar accident in his Bugeye in 1960.  The
Bugeye survived that one.  Of course the propellant was only a Beetle with a
drunk behind the wheel.

All in all, our little guys don't do so bad in accidents.  The Festiva has
survived two rear end accidents with bigger cars and no injuries (to anyone).

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes)