Extra thingies on the ignition system

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Extra thingies on the ignition system
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:19:58 -0400
Hi all,
I9m new to the list so please excuse any repeats.  I9m attempting to clean
up some electrical work from a PO.  There are several extra bits hooked up
to the coil that I suspect were from an attempt to cut down on radio
interference.  Note that these bits are ~20 years old.  One of these is what
looks to be a porcelain-type resistor that is inserted in the lead from coil
to distributor (b/w wire) and was bolted to one of the coil fasteners.  The
second is a small tube that was bolted to the other fastener, which is ~1.5
inches in length and ~3/4 inch in diameter and only has a ground wire coming
out one end.  As far as I can tell the coil is stock (as is most of the
motor).

Can anybody describe the purpose of these items and whether they can be
safely removed.  Don9t assume I know much of anything.

Thanks,
Mike Gagne
Chapel Hill, NC