Re: Somebody's wrong, but it ain't me

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Somebody's wrong, but it ain't me
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 20:32:03 -0500
> Here's what I know:  on an aircraft engine, the sparkplug washers are
copper.
> Every time you replace a plug, you have to use a new copper washer, OR
hang them
> all up on a wire, heat them with a torch and let them air cool.  I don't
think
> the point of this would be to make them harder or more brittle.
> Geoff Branch
> '74 Meejit "Yellow Peril"
> '72 Innocenti 1300 Mini

This is the preferred procedure for  copper aircraft spark plug washers,
however, immediate quenching in water is recommended.  Heating to cherry red
allows washer to return to its original conformation, quenching keeps it
from becoming brittle.  This sounds counter-intuitive but A&P mechanics
assure me it is correct.

Jim Hurd   '75 Midget