knock knock day 2

To: "Spridgets (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f7OBuKT00220
Subject: knock knock day 2
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:01:19 -0400
The first thing I tried when I got home was the broom handle trick
(after owning several Midgets, that is just habit).  Problem is that no
matter where I put it on the motor it sounded like somebody was tapping
the end with a hammer.  Right side, left side, front, or rear.  Once
again, the tapping was almost gone at first start up, but came back very
loudly after the car ran for 5 minutes or so.  I watched water flow
through the thermostat housing (looking through the plug) and I haven't
added any in awhile, so that seems okay.  Oil pressure is the same as it
always has been.  Temperature ran up to 'N.'  Tapping is really only
present when applying throttle, and can hardly be heard at idle.

Drained the oil and pulled the pan.  Nothing was obviously wrong, but
there were very slight bits of grit and gasket sealant in the bottom.
There was also one small, mysterious piece of metal that looked like
some sort of clip, but was straight so couldn't be from a ring.  I set
that aside.

About that time the phone rang from a gal in distress, and I had to go
help her diagnose a bad alternator, so that blew the night.  Anyway,
hopefully by Sunday I'll be able to look at it little closer.  At one
time, my flywheel did come loose and was fixed, but that would produce a
consistent noise rather than one that gets louder as the engine warms
up, right?  Should I go ahead and order bearings while the oil pan's
off?  Thanks!

Adrian
http://www.midgetweb.com