Re: Can't Win For Losing... The Saga Continues!

To: "Mike MacLean" <macleans@earthlink.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Can't Win For Losing... The Saga Continues!
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 00:05:44 -0400
Used to suspect fuel delivery problems with my aftermarket 948
non-lever fuel pump. After a long down time (2 weeks) it would
take forever to fire up. But the pressure and volume tests were OK
once primed. Fooled me for a long time.

Eventually bought a used original lever pump, mainly to get that
priming lever. The lever pump had a deficiency so I pulled the
guts out of the aftermarket pump to put into the lever pump.

The rebuilt lever fuel pump bench tested OK, but I spotted that
not all the parts were quite interchangeable. I remember that the
vertical actuator and other relevant bits were dimensionally
different, but not enough to notice on casual reassembly, so had a
go at it again being careful to pair up some of the bits. Me
wonders how many lever pumps have been rebuilt wrong by some DPO,
especially if the rebuild kits can be easily misapplied.

Paid utmost attention to all possible fitting suction leaks in the
whole fuel delivery system between the pump and tank, including
the little one way fuel pump valves.

Was just about to install the proudly converted lever pump when I
started to suck on one of the ports -  it did not suction hang off
my tongue for very long  - proceeded to find an otherwise
undetectable leak between the gasketed top cover and main body.
Sometimes you gotta be one lucky Detective Colombo.

Runs great now and that priming lever is sooo handy.

Mike L
60A,67E,59Bug