Re: Can't Win For Losing... The Saga Continues!

To: Michael Lupynec <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Subject: Re: Can't Win For Losing... The Saga Continues!
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:17:47 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Mike,
     The pump on my car is THE lever pump that came with my car from the
factory, or at least it is an original AC Sphinx Y type pump that
Bugeyes were equipped with.  Point taken about the aftermarket rebuild
kit.  The generic rebuild kit that was installed in my pump last year
was made in the early 70's by a German manufacturer.  Not Asian Frank.
The fit of all the parts was excellent and the pump has worked
flawlessly until it started leaking this past weekend.  The leak turned
out to be only loose screws that hold the halves together and sandwich
the diaphragm membrane between the halves.  This sandwiching is
two-fold.  It seals the two halves and it also holds the outer edge of
the membrane separating the two chambers.  Possibly this membrane is
ripped, but just Saturday it was in one piece and looked to be in good
shape.  There may be something clogging the top chamber under the
screen.  When I took it apart Saturday, there was a large piece of lint
in the screen that I removed.  This lint may have reduced the efficiency
of the pump and removing it may have made the pump pull better.  Maybe
better enough to pick up something in the line or tank and clog it all
over again.  Just speculation at this point.  I do not suspect the
pump.  The first thing I will do is to remove the top cover and look
under the filter screen for more gunk.  If nothing is found there, then
remove the line from the tank and reverse flush it, possibly with some
gasoline and my MityVac.  If that clears the line then the tank needs to
be drained and cleaned out so the line won't clog again.  All I know is
it is somewhere btween the pump and the tank and maybe it is the pump or
the tank.  Fun, fun, fun.
Mike MacLean Supercharged 60 Sprite