Re: Fulcrum Pin - Help

To: DLancer7676@cs.com, wolfbj@prodigy.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fulcrum Pin - Help
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 18:02:25 EDT
In a message dated 08/31/2001 4:51:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
DLancer7676@cs.com writes:

> A useful modification, when you get the rebuilt
> A-arms, if you go that route, would be to drill and tap the REAR bushing
> for
> a grease fitting so you can pump grease into the forward AND the rear
> bushings.  You were very lucky that you could remove the fulcrum pins that
> easily.  It usually takes cutting, heating, a BFH, and an act of God to
> remove them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I agree.  I was able to get mine out without too much trouble, but one A-arm
was shot, so thin you could see the threads from the outside.  We had another
set of used A-arms (Thanks, Kevin!) but the pins would NOT budge from either
one, even after making it cherry red with the blue wrench.

Good ole Frank gave me an A-arm that he had already cleaned up, and he
included the zerk so we added it on the other side.  It turned out that one
of the threads on his was also bad.  (I think this must be catching!)  It
wasn't deadly bad, just not very good, so we put it in anyway because I had
to drive the car.  I just received a new A-arm from the Moss sale.  Maybe
someday I will have a garage again and I can install it!

After you complete the job, make sure you take good care of those grease
fittings!

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget