Re: Basic tuning questions

To: w.gilroy@verizon.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Basic tuning questions
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 05:54:31 EDT
In a message dated 9/4/2001 10:37:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
w.gilroy@verizon.net writes:

> I have some basic tuning questions.

Bill:

I am wondering how long it has been since you did a major tune up on the
1500?  My guess is you could not go wrong in ordering a new dizzy cap and
rotor, points and condenser, new wires, and new plugs.  Then adjust your
valves, set your timing, and install the above.  Good time to adjust the
carbs as well.   Even if another problem is at hand, such as a stretched
timing chain or failing coil, these things need renewal at intervals, so you
can't go wrong by replacing them and eliminating these items as potential
problems.

And if it solves your problem you have gotten off relatively cheaply (We
tight).

--David C.