thoughts from an Okie...

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: thoughts from an Okie...
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 20:41:20 -0600
I'm a list lurker 90% of the time, I live in a suburb of Oklahoma City.
I've lived here all my life and think it is a great place to live and work.
These past few days have really shaken this State and City (not taking away
from NewYork by any means) we know first hand what all this is like, small
scale large scale it is all the same.    I just want to bring to the front
all the "support" people.  The Red Cross, Salvation Army, REACT and Amateur
Radio (ham radio ops).  These people are some of the unsung and many times
unknown support behind the rescuers.  They provide food, water, and
communication.  As most of you know cell phones were about useless,
telephone lines jammed and the fire and police freq. in full use.  Ham radio
operators at this moment are on site communicating needs for the many
support services.  Our Government (FCC in particular) has set aside certain
frequencies for use by hams for the sole purpose to use in Emergency
situations.  When the bomb went off here in OKC hams were on site with in 4
minutes (yes this is true) setting up communications for Police and Fire.
Once they were squared away with their own system, we went on to assist the
Red Cross and Salvation army.  After a few days FEMA arrived and took over
all emergency traffic from hams.  I'm sure FEMA will take over soon if not
already.  But I just wanted to shed some light on the other shadow workers
that really don't want any recognition but deserve it none the less.  It is
truly amazing what people can do at these times and come together to help
one another.  I spent the first 36 hours across the street from the Murah
building (US post office) or what was once a post office, it looked like a
bombed out building from Kosovo at the time.  I can vividly remember the
sights sounds and smells, to this day when I hear a generator, smell the
fumes from a diesel engine it takes back to those 36 hours. No I'm not
bragging merely reflecting.  All of Oklahoma and this Nation are thinking
and praying for those workers and those missing....

I only hope when those found we won't take a mamby pamby attitude because
someone was not directly involved example:(Terry Nichols life sentence
<should be death in my opinion>).

Charlie Shelden
KC5NBH
OKC, Oklahoma