Re: [back onto LBCs] An amazing A-series engine story

To: mikeg@vicnet.net.au, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [back onto LBCs] An amazing A-series engine story
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 06:05:59 EDT
In a message dated 9/14/2001 1:48:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mikeg@vicnet.net.au writes:

> If this community is to survive, we have to eventually get back to topics
> other than the terrorist
> actions this week. Sniping at other listers and allies is a sign to me that
> that time is now. Here
> is my contribution.

Thanks Mike. I agree. It has gotten to the point of arguement and I am
content to allow President Bush and his very capable team of advisors sort
this out, pinpoint the perpetrators, and decide on a correct and sane course
of action.

Here is another on-topic contribution:

I had a question about whether the timing advance is needed with an
electronic ignition and decided to try it, on the advice of some listers.  I
unplugged the advance tube and plugged it with a nail and secured it. I also
retarded the timing back to 12 degrees.  The engine is running very well,
actually better at speed.  The only problem is a rough stumbling idle.  I
don't believe the vacuum advance is at play at idle, so I suspect an intake
manifold leak, confirmed when I turned a hose of water on the idling manifold
and it almost stumbled to dead.

I have tightened the hell out of the manifold nuts to no avail.  Will it help
to use two (2) intake manifolds back to back?  There is no sealant I know of
you could use in there due to the heat.  Is there?  The engine is a 1500.

--David C.