Re: [back onto LBCs] An amazing A-series engine story

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [back onto LBCs] An amazing A-series engine story
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:17:07 EDT
In a message dated 9/13/01 11:13:03 PM, mattdpcw@hotmail.com writes:

<< I have been considering changing my boring Ford Escort to synthetic, and a
friend told me that the gaskets won't swell as much with it, causing leaks.
Have you experienced any of that?  Also, when I change over should I flush
the engine? I have also heard that cross contamination is a problem.

Matt,

You should run new engines on regular oil for about 10,000 miles before
changing to synthetic.  This is neccesary particularly for the rings to seat.
 Some folks probably will favor a different mileage but that is mine.  After
that you can change to synthetic at any time and should have no problems.  Do
change the oil filter at the same time.  We have four vehicles two with 10 K
miles one with 25 K miles and one with 100 K miles.  They all run and work
just fine.

Bob & Annice
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes)