bearing clearances, tappets and stuff

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: bearing clearances, tappets and stuff
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 08:26:00 EDT
Started to reassemble the 1275.
The machine shop said that crank did not need a grind and that standard
bearing would work. Plastigauge on the main bearing indicates a .003
clearance. This is at best at the high end of the tolerance. So I guess it is
a new machine shop and a grind.

I haven't checked the rod bearings yet.

Anyone know a good machine shop in the NY metro area?

Thrust bearings are tight. I actually can't get both in. So I plan on taking
.001 off of each one.

The new cam, fells stiff when I hand turn it. Should this be the case? I did
leave the bolts on the oil pump loose, and it was still stiff.

The new tappets do not "drop by there own weight" Can I use emery paper to
hand hone these?

David Oliner
60 Bugeye
67 TR 4A