Re: bearing clearances, tappets and stuff

To: kturk@ala.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bearing clearances, tappets and stuff
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 19:55:31 EDT
The factory specs say the main bearing clearances are .0010 to .0027 So I
think that that .0030 is a stretch. Plus the last thing I want to do is put a
sloppy fitting crank in. I am assuming that you are supposed to put only one
piece of plastigauge, not two pieces 180 degrees apart.

The cam shaft is coated with a blend of STP and 10W40. The cam shaft is not
binding, ie it feels stiff all the way around. Also it slid in fairly easily.
The same machine shop did replace the camshaft bearings and the oil pump is
new.

The block was hot tanked and looked clean to me. When I tested the lifters,
the block was sitting on the bench and maybe the air trapped in there was
holding them back. These were also coated with the STP and 10W40.

And yes, this is the first time through a total rebuild for me so comments
and encouragement are appreciated. It was alot easier after I blew the engine
in my TR 4A, the Roadster Factory sells short blocks.

David Oliner
60 Bugeye
67 TR 4A