Re: 1275 Carbs

To: BCAH@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1275 Carbs
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 23:18:38 -0400
On Monday 17 September 2001 08:37 pm, BCAH@aol.com wrote:
> The 1275 I am about to acquire has no carbs with it. As far as I can tell,
> the HS2 inch and a quarter ones on my 948 will work just fine. The question
> I have is , is the inter carb linkage the same?  In other words, is the
> distance between them the same?  Or do I have to find 1275 linkages too?
> While I am at it, what about a better intake manifold? ------------Bob C

I'm sure others are more knowledgeable on this, but I don't think the
linkages should be a problem. You probably will want to use different needles
- I would think something richer. You *may* also need different springs on
the pistons - not sure about that.

FYI there are some other minor differences - primarily related to emissions.
Later carbs (68? and up) have nipples on the sides for connection of the
crankcase vent on the front of the oil cover. Fuel bowl tops also have an
additional connection so they vent to the charcoal canister rather than into
the air. These things probably don't affect you though. Only question is
where you go with the crankcase vent. I don't know how the 948 was set up,
but the A-series likes a bit of negative pressure in the crankcase - at least
helps reduce leaks. So if you don't have it already, you may want to get a
manifold that has a connection for the PCV valve on top.

As far as a better manifold, Maniflows are highly recommended by David Vizard
in his 3rd edition. But if you're keeping everything else stock, you may want
to just get the book and do the simple mods to the stock manifold that are
described there. I intend to try these, but haven't yet.

Eddie
1971 Midget